Monday, July 15, 2013

Six years....


Six years ago yesterday I played in what will be my last ever rugby game.  And as I mentioned to Andrea about the date yesterday she wanted to know why I remembered it.

And after a lot of thought I think I know why.  Because it was the turning point in my life.

You don't know how lucky you are until the chips are down.  I had friends blow me away with their kindness and concern.  My wife (girlfriend at the time) took care of me.  Realized how lucky I was so the day always stuck with me.

And it's ok that I'll never play again.  I won't ever run a marathon again either.  Not worth the risk.  I can't even fathom what I would do now with the kiddos and that injury.

I never, ever kicked the ball in rugby.  Too unpredictable - I could never tell where it would end up.  I'm far from athletic but I'm fast and strong- would always go to ground and pop back up.  Except that day I went for the kick.  Maybe it was meant to be.

But I played the best game on the planet at a high level.  Got hurt doing what I loved surrounded by the people I love.

Lucky guy...

No comments:

Post a Comment